Defined

Easter is my favorite day of the year. I guess that is because I like symbolism and today symbolizing everything to me. Another way I say it, is that today is the most defining moment of all time. By what happened on the cross and following Sunday morning, everything in my life now has meaning and purpose.

I am no longer defined by what I do, but rather what's been done for me. I am intrigued by the idea that I can now redefine that cross to others in my life by using what is relevant to me. The idea of this came to me as I was reading Rob Bell's new book. In one chapter, he talks about how the cross was communicated by the early church. It's like...
a sacrifice,
reconciliation,
redemption,
justification,
a payment,
victory,
conquering of death.

They used words that weren't just convenient, but releavant. They understood those metaphors because they were all metaphors that talked about common things in their daily lives. So what is common to us today? If the death and resurrection happened this weekend, how would we go about communicating it so others would easily understand? What metaphors would be build off of?

Would we use twitter metaphors? #awesome
Would we use sports metaphors? It's like a homerun, a slam dunk, a fourth quater comeback
Would we use technology metaphors? It's like rebooting your computer, upgrading your iTunes
Would we use music metaphors? It's like singing at the top of your lungs!
What about a pet metaphor? It's like adopting a new puppy

The list could go on and on. Maybe it's not our job or friends that define us. It's not our favorite movie or song. It's not addiction or pain either. It's the CROSS. It defines who we are. So when we do whatever we do, we can communicate the glory of the Cross by whatever we are doing.

When we show up on Easter morning, it's not just joy that we get. We also get purpose and direction. It's not just wonder we get from an empty tomb, but also passion and clarity. As for me, I will pick up my cross and carry it daily because it defines me. It give me direction, passion, purpose, clarity, joy, completeness, and so much more.

Comments