Hunger

Hungry. That is a description of what I am for the book trilogy of the Hunger Games. Every night I come home I can't wait to dive back into the book. At the same time, I have started reading the bible in a year. I don't have e same hunger. In fact, my hunger for the Hunger Games has already put me behind schedule. Come hungry. Hunger for the word of God. Thirst for his word. These are all ways to describe the desire one can have for the Scripture. In fact, the Bible says this will happen. So I just want to look into that a little more. The question becomes how do I attain this hunger? How do I gain this appetite? Taste and see the Lord is good, blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8 A couple of months ago I had a meal known as a hobo. Sounds a bit parculiar but it was good. Basically it was meat, potatoes, onions, zucchini, and squash all put into a foil pouch and cooked over the fire. Delicious! Since then, I've been craving that so much! I tasted and it was good! So here's anoer question... How can you hunger for something you've never tasted? If I never ate ice cream, how would I ever crave it? The same can be said of God's word. Taste it. Try it. Open it up and see. Then the hunger for it begins. Yet we have fill up. We can never get enough. The word is better than the analogy here because while hunger for food can be satisfied, hunger for more Svripture is never satisfied. And that's a good thing. If I could eat cotton candy all day I would! But at some point I either get tired of it or I'm satisfied. How great would it be if I could eat it all day! This can make Scripture reading seem a bit over simplistic. I know I still run into times when I feel satisfied. Times where I don't have the desire or maybe the Scripture is over my head. I used to hate, despise, broccoli. Now I love it. I still only like it cooked. Uncooked... Still gross. Even so, my taste buds have matured. Now I'm hungry for broccoli. Sometimes the hunger for Scrpiture is likewise. Right now, I may not hunger for Lamentations. As I grow, I may. For a while, I didn't care about reading the OT. I just like reading the NT. It was more relevant for me. As I'm growing up a bit, I see more value in the OT. My hunger is maturig and growing. Just like any healthy eating habits we need discipline in consuming the right things. Reading Scripture daily is healthy hunger. May I hunger for the Word of God!

Comments