A (belated) toast

It was an incredible honor to be in my sister and (now) brother-in-law's wedding this past week. Both Hannah (matron of honor) and I were in the lineup next to them on their special day. It was definitely one of the most unique wedding I'll probably ever be a part of: a wedding on New Year's Eve where the reception happened first and the vows and kiss right at midnight. It was a really awesome night!

There were a number of times in which I was planning on offering a toast for both Doug and Amy. Honestly this is not something I really want to do, but get asked to "say word" more often these days. However this was different. Amy and Doug have both been special people in my life, and I was excited to be able to offer up a toast to their honor. So what happened? I didn't get the chance! It just kept alluding me, and alas I wasn't able to properly give them my appreciation in front of everyone.


Not this kind of toast... 

So I decided I'd at least blog my toast, and here it goes...

Today is a special day, and one I have been looking forward to and praying about for many years. First to my future brother-in-law. Doug and I have shared just about every relationship possible. He's been the friend of my older brother, my Synago leader, my youth minister, my housemate, my coworker, my sister's boyfriend and of course, my friend. Through the years, we've developed a friendship that I value very much!

He's even been a part of some of my most death defying moments in life.

One time we were stuck on a ski lift in Winter Park going to the peak of the mountain in the middle of a blizzard. As we sat there longer and longer, we both began contemplating just how far we were off the ground and if a jump of the lift may be necessary. As we did so, the wind blew our chair side to side, and the snow piled on top of us.

He was also there when we stupidly decided to drive home from Colorado in blizzard conditions in the middle of the night. We literally could not see the road in front of us (luckily we weren't the lead car either!) I was thankful I was with the one guy in our group that was already strategizing for each situation of doom we may run into. Did I mention our car was low on gas too with the nearest gas station hours away? Did I mention this was a stupid idea?

We have also braved a couple of hiking trips that turned out to be quite the adventure. One involved a flooded and exciting float down the buffalo river, and another involved an epic climb on our hands and knees out of Indian Creek.

Did I mention the Snow Apocalypse of 2010? Or skiing Double Black Diamonds in Steamboat Springs? Or the time a gun was pointed at us by a neighbor while we jokingly planted a fake tree at a friend's house? I told you, he's been part of my most death defying moments.

Apart from all those things, Doug is a true man of God. A brother in Christ long before a brother-in-law. I couldn't be more proud to get him in our family. I've prayed for a great man to be my sister's husband, and I know God has answered those prayers.

Now to my sister (I'm glad I'm typing this, otherwise I'd probably be tearing up right about now).

Amy and I had your typical brother - sister relationship growing up as kids. I annoyed her, she picked on me, and generally we didn't get along. I remember one shining moment in which I'm sure we were being little butts to each other which escalated into me chasing my sister down our hallway at home in a fit of rage. Running full speed, I pushed her from behind which SLAMMED her into the back door. This of course was right in front of my dad...

However, as we grew older our relationship changed a lot. My sister has been a bit of a rescuer for me whether she knows it or not. During my Junior High years I remember some awkward and lonely days (don't we all?!), but it was during this time that I began an actual friendship with my sister. We honestly became best friends. She helped me pull through those years, and helped guide me into the youth group. Whether it was shopping for Christmas gifts at the mall, being the car monkey for a Guido's pizza pick up, or just riding home together after school she became much more than my older sister.

It was also Amy that rescued my faith as I showed up one Sunday particularly upset with God and demanding a sign of His Presence and Grace in my life. Well it came that night as my sister just so happened to be the one sharing her testimony at youth. I remember going to the altar that night and thanking God for showing up in Amy. So I guess you could say she's to blame for me being where I am today!

Amy continues to be my sister, my friend, and my role model. I can't thank God enough for all that Amy has meant to me. Now I've had the pleasure to meet many (did I say MANY) of Amy's "suitors" if you will. Some I liked, some I didn't... I've spent many a prayers asking God to give my sister the right person. Today I celebrate what God has been up to all those years. I celebrate what God has been doing through both of you and how much I've benefited from that. I know it's just the beginning of an awesome new story that God's crafting through you both.

I toast to continued adventures. I toast to continued friendship. I toast to the best sister a little sticky syrup smelling brother could ask for! May God bless you, keep you, and shine his face upon your marriage!


Comments

  1. Thank you Mark! It is truly an honor to join your family. I am proud and humbled to add one more title to our friendship, brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment