Engaged!









Well I finally did it! On Tuesday, December 15th, I popped the question to Hannah. We've been dating for 5 1/2 years! Needless to say, she was ready and so was I. I haven't been more of a nervous wreck before in my life!

I started shopping for the ring about a week and a half before I asked her. Once I started the shopping, it was all I could think about! I couldn't sleep because all I would think about was how I did it and getting the ring. Well... the Thursday before, I found the ring. It's so beautiful! I still look at it all the time. It looks so great on her!
So I got it on Thursday, paid for it on Friday, and then drove to Searcy at 4 in the morning on Saturday! That was the one last hurdle to accomplish. Luckily her parents were home (well... sorta, her dad had to drive in from a cabin about 30 minutes away). Again, I couldn't sleep or anything. I was just wired on anticipation. Finally on Sunday, I decided that Tuesday was the day. After talking with my parents and organizing the post engagement party, I was so nervous.

So here's the date.... I picked her up from work with flowers. I knew she knew something was up, and she acting like it. I think she was as nervous as I was. We went to Powerhouse Grill and ate dinner. We were like one of 3 couples there. Needless to say, it was a little strange to be eating there at 5:30. The whole time I was trying to make it seem normal and fun, but she was so nervous and anxious. As we are about to leave, I go to the bathroom to call my sister. She, Doug and Sabrina were my team setting stuff up at Old Main. Well they were running behind, but they got it all ready.

Meanwhile, Hannah and I went down to the Fayetteville square to see the lights. It was my fake out plan. After a little convincing, we walked around the square. I could tell she was nervous even though I told her blatantly that I wasn't going to propose to her there tonight... To waste some more time, we rode the camel. (and.. I didn't have the money so she paid). Well we couldn't waste anymore time there because it was freezing! So we get in the car, and I am just waiting on the phone call from my sister. I think she had given up on the idea that I was proposing to her on that night. Well just as we are driving by the sororities, Amy calls me. That was my signal for everything. Immediately I go down Arkansas to "see the lights at the Pike house". I parked and told her there was one last suprise for her.

I got her out and I put my hand over her eyes. We walked up the sidewalk leading up to Old Main. In front of us was a beautiful arrangement of candles and pictures. I stopped her about 50 feet in front of the steps of Old Main and told her to count to 30 before she opened her eyes. As she counted, I ran to the steps to wait on her. She walked up and along the way were pictures of us the past 5 1/2 years. It was fun to see all the pictures of us through the years. I was literally holding back tears of emotion as I watched her walk towards me. Behind me on the steps were candles arranged beautifully.
When she got there, I had a journal in my hand. I have been keeping this journal for the past couple of years and put down everything I love about her. As I told her how I felt, I knelt down on one knee and proposed to her.

It was such a great night, and I am so excited. It was definately worth all the anxiety and nervousness it caused. I'm now looking forward to planning the rest of my life with the girl of my dreams!

Comments