What I'm Learning Part II

Since there was a part one, I assume there should be a part 2. As I've noted before, I have some insecurities in my own leadership abilities. Tonight I watched the King's Speech. It was a great movie. The King struggles with a speech impedement that he's had as long as he can remember. It holds him back from becoming the strong King he wants to be. He fears himself because he doesn't believe he has the natural ability to lead the people. He can't be their voice, if he can't control his own.


He struggles with his own "natural" problem. He fights it. It makes him insecure. Yet he is brave, and resiliant. He fights through it all. He knows he is meant to do this, and he HAS to overcome. It's almost as if it's both a blessing and a burden. It's his greatest weakness that shows his greatest strength, and that is what makes his journey so great. Yes he still stutters and freezes up. Yes he still has issues to overcome. Yes he still needs a coach to guide him through it all. Yet that's a little bit what makes him, him. As he says after his first wartime speech, it was a few stutters that let the people know it was actually him giving the speech.

Sound familiar? I think so.

In his case, he has no choice. He is of royal blood, which means no one else can be the King. If he's bad at it, they can't do anything. It's a birthright, a destiny.

Though I'm not the same and it may sound arrogant, but I believe God has called me to something big, something important. What that means to me right now: to be in church ministry. To be the youth minister at First United Methodist Church to the best of my abilities. I struggle and second guess myself. I have insecurities in my own leadership, and honestly it gets me down. Maybe I'm not cut out for this? Maybe I should go somewhere else, do something else.

Or

Maybe my greatest weakness can show my greatest strength.

I don't give up. That's not me. I'm a fighter, and God has called me here right now. So I've got some insecurities. I've got a "natural" deficiency in areas. I hope I can learn. I hope I will grow. I hope I won't have too much pride to seek out help and coaching. Even more so, I know my King can make me who he wants me to be, who I am.

"Three times I pleaded the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. " Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in harships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corithians 12:8-10

Comments