My Desire




I met a guy named Rusty once. Rusty was the epitome of a desperate man. He was on his last string ready to give up on life. He was struggling and couldn't find any answers anywhere but the bottle. When I first met him, he was ready to end it all. You could just see the desperation in his eyes. He was so ashamed and embarrassed. He was seeking help though as a last chance effort. So I did my best. I got him in contact with someone that could help, and together we took Rusty to the hospital. He was suicidal and drunk, not a good combo.


From there, I moved on. All I knew was that he detoxed at the hospital and they got him connected with a rehab facility in Missouri. I was just glad he made it through the night. It wasn't a week later, and I saw Rusty again. I needed to pick him up at the bus station because he was coming home to get his car that he had left at the church. He had spent maybe 5-6 days at his rehab in Missouri...


Sometimes the Glory of God is overwhelming. Sometimes he shakes us to the bone. Sometimes all you can do is smile because of how great He is. Words simply cannot work.


When I saw Rusty the second time, it could not have been a more opposite situation. Transformation at its best! Rusty was radiating with joy! It was contagious. He sounded like a man that had sat with God for 5-6 days. It was amazing. As we drove back to the church, he described what he was going through. He talked about how God had changed him. The old had gone, and the new was beaming through!


That's my desire. I am almost jealous of how desperate Rusty was because in his weakness and humility he found Christ. He didn't have anything about himself that he wanted to keep and gave it all to Him. I want to be like that. Less of me, and more of you. None of me, and all of you!


Comments